Aims and Scopes
Neurological Rehabilitation is one of the fastest growing sub-specialties of neurology. With recentadvances in diagnosis & management in the field of neurology and neurosurgery, there is a paradigmshift in the felt needs and requirements of the patients. Disabilities and their management, Qualityof life and ability to live as independently as possible even after the impairments by the patientshave been goals of neuroscientists especially in the last 2-3 decades.
With these noble thoughts in mind Indian Academy of Neurology took the initiative to constitute‘Neuro-rehab’ subsection of IAN, which came in to existence during the 23 rd Annual Nationalconference of IAN-IANCON 2015, held in Agra. Prof. Subhash Kaul, president of IAN was selectedchairman of this subsection. Dr Anupam Gupta, Physiatrist, Additional Professor & Head, Dept. ofNeurological Rehabilitation, NIMHANS, Bengaluru was appointed as convener of the section. Theobjectives of this subsection would be:
- Increase awareness among medical practitioners as well as lay persons about role ofneurological rehabilitation following neurological/neurosurgical disorders
- Organizing conferences/workshops/symposiums for neuroscientists with common interest in thesubject to train/share the knowledge/ scientific research/ advance procedures training in thefield to keep abreast with the recent advances and work done in the field world-wide.
- Holding awareness programs for survivors with disabilities occurring as a result of neurologicaldisorders.
Ist Joint national conference of Indian Federation of Neurological Rehabilitation-IFNR & Neuro-rehabsubsection of IAN was organized by Department of Neurological Rehabilitation & Department ofClinical Psychology, NIMHANS, Bengaluru at NIMHANS convention centre from 1-3 rd April 2016.
The conference was attended by more240 delegates consisting of Neurologists, Physiatrists,Neurosurgeons, Clinical psychologists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and Speechtherapists among others, working in the field of neurological rehabilitation.
The academic program was a scientific fiest, well appreciated by all the participants. Ist day of theconference was dedicated to 7 workshops which ran parallel in 2 halls. The topics were as follows;
- Ultrasound guided intervention pain management (Hands-on)
- Botulinum toxin in post-stroke spasticity (Hands-on)
- Seating and wheel chair assessment
- Cognition in court: Bed to Bench
- Workshop of Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Splinting in Neurorehabilitation- Trunk control following Stroke
- Trunk control following Stroke
Second day of conference had dedicated session on Stroke & rehabilitation, Head Injuryrehabilitation, Cerebral Palsy and management, Neuromodulation in spine-origin pain, a workshop inGait analysis and free paper sessions. Icing on the cake was 3 orations by eminent persons in thefield of Neurology/ Neurological rehabilitation.
- IFNR oration was delivered by Professor Shobini Rao, Retd. Professor & Head, Dept. ofPsychology, NIMHANS
- Chair Neuro-rehab subsection of IAN oration delivered by Professor Subhash Kaul, President ofIAN
- Key note address delivered by Professor Suranjan Bhattacharjee, Ex-Director of CMC Vellore,former HOD Dept. of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, CMC Vellore.
Again other than the plenary sessions, the scientific activities took place in two halls simultaneously.
Inaugural function was organized on the same day. NIMHANS Director presided over the functionwith Registrar being the special invitee. The chief guest of the function was Mr. SwamiSwaminathan, CEO, Manipal Healthcare services and the guest of honour was Mr. RaghavendraRajkumar, Famous celebrity, film star and a stroke survivor.
Last day (3 rd April) started with IFNR presidential oration delivered by Dr. Nirmal Surya. This wasfollowed session on behavioural rehabilitation in Neuropsychiatric conditions. There were sessionson Music therapy in cognition, Aphasia-Diagnosis & management afterwards.
Great enthusiasm was shown by delegates in participating in scientific program. We had 21 free-paper podium presentations and 47 e-poster presentations in total. In each category, 3 best papersand posters were awarded with mementos & certificates.
It was the first national conference of neuro-rehab subsection of IAN. The fact that we were able toorganize it separately from IAN during Ist year itself speaks volumes about the sincerity anddedication of the whole team entrusted with the task. I believe it was hugely successful. Great zealwas shown by IAN members, physiatrists and other neuro scientist. I sincerely expect it to becomeregular annual fixture with initially in joint collaboration with IFNR with more and more neuroscientists from different sub-specialities participating in bigger numbers in the coming years.
Proposed future activities over the next 1-2 years:
- Symposium on ‘Neurological Rehabilitation’ during the forthcoming IAN conference in Kolkata
- Organizing the Next national conference (Joint IFNR & Neurorehab subsection ofIAN)sometime in March-April 2017 (Venue & date to be decided)
- ‘World Conference of Neurological Rehabilitation-WCNR’ in Hyderabad in February 2018under the leadership of Dr. Nirmal Surya
|Dr. Anupama Gupta |
Convenor, Neuro-rehab Subsection,
Indian Academy of Neurology
Email Id: email@example.com
|Dr. Subhash Kaul |
Chairman, Neuro-rehab Subsection,
Indian Academy of Neurology
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org