Aims and Scopes
- To increase interest in the emerging sub-speciality of ‘Headache Medicine.’
- To have more Headache Clinics and Headache Specialists across the country. Given our huge population and the high prevalence of headache. We hope to achieve this in the long run through the activities of the subsection.
- To deliver optimal treatment to all headache sufferers and thereby reduce the burden of headache. By promoting interest in headache medicine, neurologists will be better equipped
- To impart knowledge to internists and GPs for better management of headache patients throughout the country.
- To undertake CME programmes across the country that will update general neurologists on the latest that is happening in the academic headache arena.
- To create a group that can jointly undertake research in ‘headache’ that will be relevant to our country.
- To design epidemiological studies for the different types of headache across the country.
- The first National Headache Update in 2016 was held at Kolkata on 16th & 17th January, 2016 under the aegis of “Association of Neurologists of Eastern India” and endorsed by “Headache Subsection” of IAN. This meeting was well attended by over 150 Neurologists and 50 internists from the Eastern and North Eastern regions. There were didactic lectures, debate, case studies and quizzes.
- Annual Headache subsection meeting was held during Agra IANCON. 3 clinical cases were presented by Dr Ambar Charkrovarty, Dr Sumit Singh and Dr Sanjay Prakash. Dr Rakesh Shukla gave a brief talk detailing the development of Headache medicine in India. The meeting was attended by 23 delegates.
- The first National Headache Update in 2015 was held at Udaipur on December 19-20, 2014. Dr. Debashish Chowdhury was the Course Director. This meeting was well attended by over 150 Neurologists and 50 internists from various parts of India.
- The second National Headache Update in 2015 was held at Pune on April 11-12, 2015. Dr. Ravishankar was the Course Director for this meeting. Approximately, 250 delegates attended.
- The Headache Master School was conducted at Mumbai December 6-7, 2014. This event was an initiative of The I H S (International Headache Society) and was endorsed by The IAN. Dr. K. Ravishankar was the Course Director and the Faculty included eminent international headache experts – Drs. Alan Rapoport, Peter Goadsby, Allan Purdy, Fumihiko Sakai, Dr. S. J. Wang. From India we had Dr. K. Ravishankar, Dr. Debashish Chowdhury, Dr. Rakesh Shukla and Dr. M.V.Francis on the Faculty. The Meeting was attended by more than 150 young Neurologists and there was lively interaction with the Faculty and it was a good learning experience for all.
- To start an Annual Headache conference of the Headache subsection of IAN
- To have at least 5 zonal headache meetings throughout the year (North, South, East, West and Central)
- To publish a Headache related academic Handout (12-16 pages) bimonthly/trimonthly showcasing recent advances in Headache Medicine.
International Headache Meetings
58th Annual Scientific Meeting OF THE American Headache Society, Thursday, June 09, 2016 - Sunday, June 12, 2016 Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina 333 West Harbor Dr. San Diego, CA , 92101 (http://www.americanheadachesociety.org/events/58th_annual_scientific_meeting/)
18th Congress of the International Headache society, Vancouver, Canada; 7-10th September, 2017 (http://www.ihc2017.com/)
Various opportunities are available from International Headache Society for education, active participation and research with research and travel grants. Visit IHC website.
IHS Fellowship: Most years IHS offers a fellowship for basic or clinical headache research, or a combination of both. IHS Junior Travel Grants : Application for Junior Travel Grants for the 18th Congress of the International Headache Society (IHC). IHS Short-Stay Scholarship peri-EHMTIC Application for Short-stay scholarships peri-IHC. IHS Headache Pioneer Programme Application for the 2015 Headache Pioneer Programme.
|Dr. Debashish Chowdhury |
Convenor, Headache Subsection
Indian Academy of Neurology
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. K Ravishankar